Early photo of the Holy Rosary Catholic church in Globeville. Group portrait of 1st communion class.

Southern Slavs

Southern Slavs included Slovenians, Croatians, Macedonians, and Serbs, who came from an area that had been part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Distinguished from the Orthodox Slavs by their religion, Roman Catholic, and the use of the Roman alphabet, they settled in an area in the south of Globeville and held jobs mainly in the smelters.

Work in the smelters was hard and dangerous with men risking death or disability from extreme heat, toxic fumes and dust from heavy metals. To provide financial security for themselves and their families, Slavs formed independent, fraternal societies that offered sick and death benefits for their members as well as a connection to the language, culture and heritage of the home country. The lodge was like a clubhouse where members felt at home and many people belonged to several, the American Fraternal Union, the American Slovenian Catholic Union KSKJ, the local Croatian lodge St. Jacob's and the Western Slavonic Association or WSA.

Slovenians and Croatians in Globeville built Holy Rosary Church at 4664 Pearl Street, which was dedicated on July 4, 1920 with Mass, and Bishop Tihen giving the sermon. Tihen praised the parishioners for their efforts and reminded them that poor people, rather than princes, built the great churches of Europe.